Supply simply cannot keep up with today’s demand for products made from organic, non-GMO, and specialty grains as consumers increasingly seek alternatives to conventional foodstuffs. Growing the grains for these products is possible for many farmers, but getting started can be daunting. In this intensive training, grain growers and marketers with expertise in all aspects of starting and maintaining a successful specialty grain enterprise will teach you how to:
- assess your land and operation for grain growing capability;
- identify ideal grain crop choices for your farm and markets;
- plan for soil fertilitity and pest management;
- identify, promote to, and sell both to wholesale markets and directly to consumers.
What you will experience at the Specialty and Organic Grains Training Intensive:
- Presentations by highly successful grain growers and marketers
- Tours of Goldmine Farms, a 2,000 acre specialty grain farm, and Clarkson Grain, a distributor specializing in organic and non-GMO grains
- Incredible meals containing specialty and organic grains prepared by CIA-trained chef Alisa DeMarco
Farmers will leave the three-day training confident in their ability to establish or transition grain-growing enterprises on their farms. Farm service providers and avid gardeners will also benefit immensely from this training.
The cost of the Specialty and Organic Grains Intensive is $450.00 through October 15, and then increases to $500.00 until the close of registration on October 29. The cost includes all meals and the bus tour. Scholarships are available. To inquire about scholarships, please write to email@example.com before registering.
“One day at a time”
You may also choose to attend just one or two days of the training. Day one, on production practices, costs $200.00. Day two, the bus tour, costs $150.00. Day three, on marketing, also costs $150. Scholarships are also available for the individual days. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org directly to register for these options. Go to their agenda page for more training day details.
A block of 10 rooms has been reserved under The Land Connection at the Country Inn in Champaign from November 2-6 at a rate of $80.00/night.
602 W Marketview Dr, Champaign, IL 61822
To book a reservation, call (217) 355-6666 and ask to book a room under The Land Connection.
Directions to Prairie Fruits Farm and Creamery
Please follow this link to their website.