Title/Status: Manager, Donor Communications
Reports to: Director, Development and Communications
Location: Davis, California
The Manager, Donor Communications is responsible for building and maintaining communications with individual donors. He/she implements approved strategies to meet revenue goals of the annual giving program, administers the gift acknowledgement program for all levels of individual giving, and coordinates solicitor acknowledgments for higher-end donors. He/she manages the vendor relationship for direct mail and online fundraising and oversees the execution of campaigns. The manager also analyzes giving patterns and levels of the individual donor base for appropriate placement in the annual, renewal and major gifts programs.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Proactively build and maintain communications with individual donors to communicate Freedom
- from Hunger’s mission and to solicit continued and increasing support for Freedom from Hunger’s goals.
- Manage the relationship with Freedom from Hunger’s outside vendor for direct mail and online fundraising and oversee the timely execution of campaigns.
- Manage donor inquiries and information requests. Review and respond to individual donor questions, comments, complaints and requests by prospective and current individual donors.
- Compose acknowledgment letters and donor correspondence. Use creativity to connect donors with the beneficiaries in all correspondence, both written and verbal.
- Manage the acknowledgment process for all individual gifts, engaging the President, Major Gifts team, related staff and trustee solicitors for high level gifts, as needed. Coordinate acknowledgment of all gifts greater than $10,000 with the Major Gifts Officer.
- Identify prospects for the annual giving program from direct mail and cultivate accordingly.
- Identify prospects for upgrades to the major donor program with guidance from the Major Gifts team and Director, Development and Communications. Assist with cultivation as appropriate.
- Collaborate and participate in decisions regarding messaging to individual donors.
- Manage the relationship with Freedom from Hunger’s outside consultants for planned giving, including promotion and acknowledgment of planned gifts. Work with donors on annuity gifts.
- Collaborate with Freedom from Hunger’s stockbroker on stock gifts.
- Coordinate weekly conference calls with fundraising vendor.
- Manage the cultivation, stewardship, and promotion of the monthly sustainer programs.
- Collaborate with the External Affairs team and vendors to prepare the individual donor program budget, projecting revenues and expenses, analyzing program progress against goal, and making adjustments accordingly.
- Maintain and update donor database with all pertinent donor communications.
- Ensure matching gifts and workplace giving programs are adequately maintained.
- Ensure timely completion of cashiering, data entry, gift entry, and online donor inquiries.
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all information and materials associated with the Board of Trustees and donors.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Prior Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum five years related work experience, showing progressive levels of responsibility with at least two years in a manager role.
- Excellent and persuasive interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced proofreading and editing skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Detail oriented and excellent problem solving, planning and analytical skills.
- Ability to prepare and manage expenditures in accordance with approved budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to present professionally to potential donors, current donors, foundations, the public, and partner organizations.
- Expertise in cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies for individual donors, foundations, and corporations.
- Occasional travel may be required.
General Job Competencies
- Positive “can do” attitude.
- Passionate about the mission of Freedom from Hunger.
- Smart about pursuing and achieving cost-effective, efficient work.
- Collaborative in finding solutions, achieving quality work, and delivering outcomes and
- materials on time.
- Integrity in dealing with colleagues, executing work in support of the mission,
- protecting confidential information and discretion in all matters.
- Sensitive and respectful of internal clients’ concerns and needs.
- Capable of operating in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
Please email your cover letter and résumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org. When emailing, please specify the Manager, Donor Communications position code MDC2014 in the subject line.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with Freedom from Hunger. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Freedom from Hunger is an Equal Opportunity Employer.